PROJECT COMPASSION MINISTRIES
44th ANNUAL BLOCK PARTY
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION SHEET
Project Compassion has been sponsoring the Summer Block Parties since 1974. Some residents have lived in the nursing homes since that time and even before. Others will be new in their “homes” and unfamiliar with the Block Party. You will find people with greatly varying personalities – some very quiet and reserved and some outgoing. Also some that may be a bit confused. Try to be accepting of all types as an expression of Christ’s love for them.
This Block Party provides a bright spot in lives that otherwise are fairly uneventful. You have a unique opportunity to bring joy and blessing to some special people. You will be a channel of God’s blessing through word, song and action today. His love is poured into you through His Holy Spirit and will be remembered by those you will be serving.
“Stand firm then, my dear fellow Christians, and let nothing move you. Always keep on doing great work for the Lord since you know in the Lord your hard work isn’t wasted.” (1 Cor. 15:58)
VISITORS AND SERVERS:
- Food will be delivered to your area by van.
- Have a member of the volunteer team report to the Activities Director or person in charge regarding any additional information about their home.
- Residents outside – if volunteer is unsure of helping resident, please ask assistance of nursing staff.
- Residents inside nursing home – if unsure of helping the resident with food, please leave food at bedside (a staff member will help resident when they are able).
- Please do not take food into homes marked AFC. Work only with the residents that are outside.
- There should be a trash container at each facility – please encourage residents to use it.
- Volunteers will assist with the clean up. Make sure all styrofoam containers are returned to the curbside.
- If the residents hesitate to accept food because of diet restrictions, assure them that the menu has been approved by the dietician.
- All food can be served to all residents, one serving each. If there is extra food, only residents okayed by the nursing staff may be served more than one of anything.
Plan to spend about 20 minutes at each entertainment spot, as assigned. Please do not enter facilities.
Volunteers and entertainers will meet at 3:15 p.m. back at Illinois Avenue Lutheran Church for a time of sharing and socializing.
THANK YOU FOR COMING TODAY TO MAKE THIS A SPECIAL DAY FOR SOME SPECIAL PEOPLE.
On behalf of all the resident of these homes and the Block Party Committee, thank you for your “hard work”. It is our prayer that you will “always keep on doing a great work for the Lord” by remembering those in need with your prayers and your loving concern.